About Me

Hi, My name is Sam and I am a Year 5 student at Mt Carmel School. I wanted to participate in the Summer Blogging as I was with my mum when Rachel came to talk to her class. I asked my mum if I can join. Finally she agrees and I am very keen to journey through with so many children around New Zealand.

Monday, January 15, 2018

Bonus Activity: Women at Work

WEEK 2
Bonus Activity: Women at Work

Both men and women served in World War II. Many women chose to enlist as nurses and

be stationed overseas caring for wounded soldiers. My nana was one of those nurses.

She (Dorothy) spent much of World War II working on a large Red Cross ship that was

stationed off the coast of Cairo, Egypt.   
For this activity, you are going to imagine that you are just like Dorothy and that you

are working as a nurse on a large medical ship. Complete the story.



One day you are walking along the deck of the ship when you hear a loud bang. You start to run as you see smoke coming from the far end of the ship. You run towards the room where your patients are waiting to receive treatment from the doctor. Just as you arrive at the door to their room you hear another loud bang and you…
I froze.  Ice ran down my spine. What could have happened I wondered. I moved in
slow motion, not knowing what to expect from these wounded and desperate soldiers.
As I carefully pushed myself into room, the moaning and groaning chorused in agony.
 I looked around and saw the faces of the nurses that were there, all looking at the same
direction.  My gaze followed theirs and saw two of my patients. They were friends.
Their wounds was life threatening. They talked about their families and how much
they missed them.  Waiting for the doctors took a long while and they complained
as they might not get to see their family.  
Their pain might have been overwhelming and they decided to take their lives.
A double wham. Shot. Shot.
Tears flooded my eyes as I remembered their stories about their families and how
much they longed to be with them.  
I hate war. I hate war, I repeated in my head.  I love to help but not enough.  

That day we were told to check every patients and ensure they do not have any
weapons with them.

5 comments:

  1. Hey again Sam, awesome to see you've put in a lot of hard work and completed this story. I like how you begin the story talking about ice running down your spine. You're a very talented writer. I like the line you wrote; 'the moaning and groaning chorused in agony'. It seems like such a scary time to be a nurse and you've captured that fear really well.

    Do you often write stories?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Billy, I love writing. I think I have lots of good ideas and image things and I love reading and watching documentaries. My mum is a pain for she tells me to write and write. I like to talk and talk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sam, that's awesome. I can tell you enjoy writing because you use lovely descriptive language. That made me laugh reading the last part about how your mum tells you to write and write but you just like to talk and talk. It's so good for people to be writing every day. Even if it is just something small like this.

      How is your figure skating going? What is the coolest trick you can do on the ice? Mine is this one where I fall over and hurt my knees. It's not very impressive!

      Thanks, Billy

      Delete
    2. Hi Billy,
      I have been spending my days at the rink. My best trick is a flip jump when I jump into the air and do one rotation and land on one foot. I can also do a sit spin. This is when I spin on one foot and squat as low as I can while my other leg in the air is extended in front of me. I am sorry that you hurt yourself. I hurt my ankle and was off for 3 weeks. These were my dull weeks in the holidays. Now I am back. I go nearly everyday in the last weeks. When I come back I tried to complete my blogging activities or I face the consequences of not going to the rink. My mum's rule. However, I loved it.

      Delete
    3. Hey Sam, wow that sounds really impressive. I wish I was better at ice skating. Sometimes when I go with my friend, he has to use the steel frame to support himself. It's pretty funny!

      How did you get into figure skating?

      Thanks, Billy

      Delete

Week Four, Day 2, Activity 2: Sporting Heroes

Yulia Lipnitskaya Yulia  Vyacheslavovna Lipnitskaya is a former competitive Russian figure skater. When Yulia was 16 she competed at the...