About Me

Hi, My name is Sam and I am a Year 5 student at Mt Carmel School. I wanted to participate in the Summer Blogging as I was with my mum when Rachel came to talk to her class. I asked my mum if I can join. Finally she agrees and I am very keen to journey through with so many children around New Zealand.

Friday, January 12, 2018

Activity 2: A Call to Arms

Te Moananui-a-Kiwa Ngarimu in 1940 VICTORIA CROSS MEDAL AWARD


Second Lieutenant Moana-nui-a-Kiwa Ngarimu, 28th (Maori) Battalion, 2NZEF

Moana-nui-a-Kiwa Ngārimu was the first Māori soldier to win the VC. A second lieutenant in the 28th (Maori) Battalion’s C Company, he took part in the assault at Tebaga Gap, Tunisia, in March 1943. The battalion’s objective was a strategically important hill known as Point 209. The first task was to take high ground below the summit. Ngārimu led his platoon up one of these lower hills on 26 March, personally knocking out several machine-gun posts. After capturing the crest, his men repelled a number of fierce German counter-attacks during the night. Despite wounds to his shoulder and leg, Ngārimu refused to leave his position. He was killed the next morning fighting off another enemy attack. 
His VC was presented to his parents at a hui at Ruatōria on 6 October 1943. He was born at Wharepango, on the East Coast, Gisborne area, on 7 April 1919.  

I have to paste this here. RIP Moana-nui-a-Kiwa Ngarimu. His bravery and determination has earned him the VC medal. This must be very difficult his family but the memories live on. 



1 comment:

  1. Hey Sam,

    It's Jade C here from the Summer Learning Journey team.

    Moana-nui-a-Kiwa Ngārimu was a very courageous and brave soldier and His family would've missed him greatl. We all need to remember those brave soldiers who lost their valuable lives in the war.

    I chose Charles Upham. He is the only person to be given 2 VCs. He is considered as a hero and one of the people who changed the history. What I've learnt from this is that just one ordinary person can change the history by his or her actions. I hope you enjoyed researching about the world war.

    I look forward to reading more of your posts!

    All the best,
    Jade C.

    ReplyDelete

Week Four, Day 2, Activity 2: Sporting Heroes

Yulia Lipnitskaya Yulia  Vyacheslavovna Lipnitskaya is a former competitive Russian figure skater. When Yulia was 16 she competed at the...