About Me

Hi, My name is Sam and I am a Year 5 student at Mt Carmel School. I wanted to participate in the Summer Blogging as I was with my mum when Rachel came to talk to her class. I asked my mum if I can join. Finally she agrees and I am very keen to journey through with so many children around New Zealand.

Monday, January 8, 2018

Bonus Activity: In Flanders Fields

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
 That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

This poem brings tears to my eyes. They fought for the country and now poppies always remind us of them. We love these men and women whom their lives were lost in wars. Wars should not be the way to make peace. RIP 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sam,

    This is Jade C from the Summer Learning Journey blogging team. It's awesome to see all the work that you've done over the summer holidays. You are an amazing blogger!

    Yes, the poem does bring tears to the eyes, and I absolutely agree with you that "wars should not be the way to make peace". The poem Flanders Fields makes me think of the days I've visited RSA. RSA was formed in New Zealand, 1916, after World War 1 to provide support and comfort for men and women who went to the war. Someone there recited this poem out loud and we all remembered those who died for our world and our country.

    I look forward to reading more of your activity blogs!

    Have a great day,
    Jade C.

    ReplyDelete

Week Four, Day 2, Activity 2: Sporting Heroes

Yulia Lipnitskaya Yulia  Vyacheslavovna Lipnitskaya is a former competitive Russian figure skater. When Yulia was 16 she competed at the...